The Crescent City is as renowned for its live music, decadence, and flair as it is for its mysticism and connection to the supernatural. So it makes sense that it would host America’s biggest Halloween weekend music festival. The 13th Annual Voodoo Fest kicks off this Friday in City Park, New Orleans. As usual, RB has some recommendations for those festival goers that have made the journey down to the Big Easy.
City Park is divided up into different areas that cater to the different sights and sounds of the Festival. “Le Flambeau” features Nola’s finest local sounds, including enough brass bands to start your own Mardi Gras parade. “Le Ritual” is the largest stage and hosts the headliners. “Le Carnival” features indie bands, burlesque, and circus acts (aka, a huge party). There are also the additional “Le Plur” and “Bud Light” areas.
For those of you looking to celebrate All Hallows Eve down on the bayou, here are a few RB recommendations for great bands to check out.
Red Bulletin Stage:
- Major Lazer @ 6pm (in case you feel like dancing!)
- Soundgarden @ 9pm (Their only US festival date!)
This is the day Voodoo really brings the party! And why not, it is Halloween weekend in New Orleans.
- Soul Rebels Brass Band w/ Cyril Neville @ 1:45pm. SRBB is big brass jazz with that classic New Orleans flair, and at 1:45 it’s the perfect way to start off your Voodoo Saturday. This time you also get to see Cyril Neville who is a percussionist and vocalist from the famous Neville Brothers band that is a New Orleans institution. In fact, if this is the kind of music you’re looking for, Preservation Hall has an entire series of brass bands to slake your thirst for classic New Orleans fare.
Voodoo Stage: This is the highlight of the Festival, 3 bands in a row that are must see:
- Boots Electric @ 2:55pm
- Mastodon @ 4:15pm
- Social Distortion @ 5:45pm
- The Stone Foxes @10:30am
Bingo! Parlor Stage
- Portugal. The Man @ 4:45pm
- TV on the Radio @ 5:15pm
- The Raconteurs @ 7pm
There are so many great bands to see that you can’t lose. Put on your favorite Halloween costume and let’s get this party started!
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.
You must be logged in to post a comment.