Ok, Rabbits. Remember when Coachella first announced the new two-weekend format last year? Remember how Ronnie speculated we could get some great shows in the Southland for the week between Coachella weekends? And remember how I thought such shows would be excluded in the artists’ contracts? Well, it looks like we were both right. Some bands will not be making any official appearances anywhere near Indio between April 16 and 20—ahem, Radiohead. But fear not, pass-less but savvy Coachella fan! Goldenvoice announced today a slew of shows between April 11 and 23, featuring some of the best acts of Coachella. Hit the jump to see how you can create a choose-your-own Coachella adventure by hopping around great Southern California venues.
Announced via Twitter, Goldenvoice will be hosting a week’s worth of “side shows” featuring some or Rabbits Black’s favorite Coachella artist. The wristband fiasco this year (Author’s note: As an aside, what’s what ticket issues this year? Have you heard about the headache surrounding Burning Man passes? At least organizers of Burning Man figured out a some-what effective way of cutting out scalpers. When will Goldenvoice figure out that scalpers are pricing out their base of fans by creating an inflated and imaginary demand?) left many would-be Coachella-goers in the cold desert dust. In what may be a step in the right direction for Coachella, Goldenvoice organized a great schedule of side shows scattered throughout Southern California.
Arranged by sale date (because, really, you care more about when you need to hop on Ticketmaster to queue up in another ticket line than the actual date of the show), here are some notable lineups:
- M83 @ The Fox Theater (Pomona) – [Thursday 4/12]
- Madness @ Club Nokia – [Monday 4/16]
- Bon Iver @ The Fox Theater (Pomona) – [Monday 4/16]
- The Hives & The Rapture with Housse de Racket @ The Glass House – [Monday 4/16]
- Manchester Orchestra with Fanfarlo @ The Fonda/Music Box – [Monday 4/16]
- Neon Indian @ The Constellation Room at The Observatory – [Monday 4/16]
- We Were Promised Jetpacks @ The Echo – [Tuesday 4/17]
- Yuck @ The Constellation Room at The Observatory – [Wednesday 4/18]
- tUnE-yArDs & St. Vincent with Keep Shelley in Athens @ The Glass House – [Thursday 4/19]
- Girls & Yuck @ Pappy & Harriet’s – [Thursday 4/19]
- Arctic Monkeys with The Soft Pack @ The Glass House – [Wednesday 4/11]
- Kasabian with The Dear Hunter @ The Fonda/Music Box – [Tuesday 4/17]
- Neon Indian with Housee de Racket @ The Echoplex – [Tuesday 4/17]
- Miike Snow @ The El Rey – [Tuesday 4/17 & Wednesday 4/18]
- Horrors & Black Angels @ The Fonda/Music Box – [Wednesday 4/18]
- Sub Focus @ The Fonda/Music Box – [Thursday 4/19]
- Pulp @ The Fox Theater (Pomona) – [Thursday 4/19]
On-Sale Date TBD
- Refused with Death Grips @ The Glass House – [Thursday 4/12]
- Jeff Mangum @ The Orpheum (Los Angeles) – [Monday 4/23]
Hopefully some of these acts will find their way up north as well. Ticket sites, if available, are conveniently linked at the dates corresponding to the shows on this post. Check Goldenvoice’s Twitter feed for the latest on ticket information for Refused and Jeff Mangum.